Well, shades of that, anyway.
My latest painted treasure......
Unfortunately, I failed to take a before picture. Suffice it to say, the wood finish was dull dull dull. There are some woods which I consider sacrilege to paint (birds eye maple and burlwood, to name a few), but this was not anything remotely of that caliber.
This writing slope was in relatively good condition, but needed wood filler in a few rough spots on the back. I didn't like the drawer pull, so I swapped it out with one I had, which I color-matched and sealed in a dark copper to coordinate with the hinges.
I had some leftover Annie Sloan chalkpaint, which was more than enough for this project. Provence blue and Cream for the exterior, and I mixed a homemade ruby red chalkpaint for the interiors.
Then, you know the drill.....distressing, then clear and dark wax. I know Annie advises to wax, then sand, but I don't like how gummed up the sandpaper or sanding sponge gets, so I sand first. I only sand after waxing if I'm not satified with the distressing. I'm sure if I was conquering a large piece of furniture, I would probably need to adhere to Annie's advice, or I'd have a blanket of chalk everywhere in my home......:)