Friday, December 5, 2014

German Glass Glitter Gift Set w/Mini Spoon & Artful Presentation

I've been mentioning in my last few posts about using copious amounts of German glass glitter lately. After creating with it the last few years, I can truly say it's ruined me for any other kind glitter. Nothing compares to its sparkle, not to mention it's made to tarnish, and I do love the antique look.

I also have to admit that I've been a materials/supply/packaging snob since way way back. If you are going to the trouble of creating something, especially for sale or as a gift, you might as well spend a few extra bucks for the good stuff. It will make your handmade creations look high-end, without spending the high-end price. The exception to that rule is, of course, when you are making it your mission to only use vintage/antique components to create your masterpiece with, which is my other supply snob side. But I digress.....

Until this year, I've only used the glass glitter for little accents here and there. Every Christmas season I've told myself I was going to go all out with it, but it never materialized. This year I've finally done it, from the Putz houses to the pinecones. And since I knew I would finally accomplish it this year, I thought it would be fun to create packaging for it and sell some in my Etsy shop.

I adore attractive or clever packaging, so after searching high and low, I finally got ahold of some great little corked jars. 


Aren't these lovely?

When I first starting using German glass glitter, I did what everyone was doing, and put it into vintage glass salt and pepper shakers. Well it didn't take long to realize that I preferred to spoon it on, not shake it. Not to mention that if the glitter can tarnish, the shaker holes allow air in, and I don't want my glitter pre-tarnished,
especially if I am selling a finished product.

I found these adorable metal spoons that are the perfect size for sprinkling onto small areas like ornaments and little bottle brush trees, since a little glass glitter goes a long way. 


These square jars hold exactly 2oz of glass glitter, measuring 1-1/2” square at the base. The metal spoons are 2-3/8” long, with the spoon's bowl measuring 1/2” x 11/16”. I've kept some for myself, and have been using them all season.


I tied each jar with silver stretch cord, to make the cork extra secure, and wrapped them in clear cellophane like a mini gift basket.


But of course, the packaging snob couldn't stop there. I found these great clear plastic gift boxes that the jar fits into perfectly. I accented the jar and box with Tiffany blue labels, and now they're ready to give as a gift to a German glass glitter fan, or to someone who hasn't tried it yet. I also thought these would look darling at a glitter party,
sitting at each table-setting.
Another idea for that glitter party - crystal salt cellars work wonderfully for little "servings" of glitter. I use them for the petite projects with my little spoon...:)


I am very passionate about presentation of my creations & products. It isn't just about making a good impression. It's about what inspires me as a customer. When shopping for my own crafting supplies, I find it more enjoyable to purchase them when they are presented in an artful way. One Etsy seller, in particular, is a master at this....Julie Collings. Along with her beautiful photography, she takes extra creative steps in her supply presentation & packaging, and when they arrive, you can't wait to play with them. I am definitely a repeat customer!

If I get another bee in my bonnet, I may have to package some other favorite glitter colors. You just never know what I'll be inspired to do next..........Ciao for now, Maria

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...